Fit Notes: The Demi2019-08-20
We set out to create the perfect flat when launching Margaux. In the four years since, we've spent countless hours digging in and studying what worked, listening to women around the country, and offering up new silhouette twists—like The Pointe—that offer subtle differences based on personal style.
The shape with the most dogged devotion? The Demi, with its rounded toe and working bow that takes inspiration from the soft leather slippers worn by ballerinas. It's rare for a day to pass in the Margaux offices without one employee sporting a pair (powdery Cerulean has proven to be an insider favorite).
With plenty of wear time—a perk of the job—we've all gotten skilled at offering up tips and tricks for ensuring it's the best fitting ballet flat you'll ever find. Below, insider advice on how to decide on the best size and what to do when yours arrives.
- As our least structured style—and in a buttery soft leather that will give as you wear—you may want to consider going a half-size down from what you normally take in Margaux.
- Designed to feel casual and relaxed (the ultimate French-girl shoe!) there is no additional inner lining in The Demi. As such, it can feel looser than our other flats.
- The inherent freedom in its construction makes this style a constant favorite for people with wider feet and anyone preferring an unstructured fit.
- We went without an elasticated back so you won't feel any tightness or squeezing (or see angry indentations at the heel when you slip them off).
- The bow can be tightened for a snugger fit. To do so, untie it when the shoe is off the foot. Holding at the base of the laces, give them a solid pull and retie.
- Deliciously soft Italian Nappa leather is one of the reasons why The Demi has such a devoted fanbase. Its naturally-tanned nature means it's not water-resistant, though: Check the forecast before wearing.
- If rainy days are unavoidable for you, consider a pair in suede. With the right protection, this type of leather can be easier to care for pre- and post-rain.
- Already ordered your pair? Look for the thin protective liner affixed to the bottom of the sole. Designed to keep everything perfect in transit, it should be removed after you've confirmed you have the perfect fit and before your first wear.
Discover all nine colors of The Demi, including the summery gingham seen above (and only available for a limited time).